Last Minute Wins
The talk of Rugby town last weekend was the game between Chiefs V Highlanders - which ended up with a last minute victory for the Highlanders, in the last round of the Aotearoa fixtures.
It turns out that (and probably due to Coronavirus) that the UK has been lapping up the pulsating games that the Kiwi Super Rugby teams have been putting on for the world to see - https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/300062745/super-rugby-aotearoa-hits-tv-peaks-in-key-uk-market-not-seen-for-many-years
After watching the game and talking about it in the office over the last few days, it got us wondering what are the best last minute comebacks or finishes to a game that we have seen.
We have drafted a list of our top 5 moments - this is in no particular order and it will be clearly a subjective list - but we feel we have all bases covered.
1. France v Ireland | Natwest 6 Nations 2018 - Ireland won 15-13 - In a close, hard fought encounter at the Stade De France - Johnny Sexton sinks a last minute drop goal for the last minute victory.
2. South Africa v British and Irish Lions | 1997 Series - Lions Won 18-15 - It wasn't quite a last minute drop goal to go ahead against the Springboks - but to take an unassailable 2-0 lead in the series against the World Champions at the time, in the final minutes...not a bad way to win a game.
3. Ireland v All Blacks | 2013 Test Match - All Blacks won 24-22 - In what would have been the first Irish victory over the All Blacks back in 2013 (They have since beat them in 2018) defeat was snatched from the jaws of victory when after a monumental amount of phases went by, the All Blacks stole the victory.
4. Harlequins v Stade Francais | 2008 Heineken Cup - Harlequins won 19-17 - Now into the club scene - where after what seemed an abnormal amount of phases of play with the score stacked 16-17 in favour of Stade Francais, Harlequins found the magic touch at the death!
5. Australia v England | Rugby World Cup Final 2003 - England Won 20-17 (A.E.T) - You do not get more last minute of a game, then the last minute of extra time! No last minute comeback/wins list would be complete without England's win of Australia in the Rugby World Cup final of 2003.
Have we missed any? We imagine there will be a fair few that do not agree - why not comment on the matches you think should be in a top 5.
Graham Bell here, B&Q’s new UK and Ireland. Message here for Andy McCondach. Mate, our shower sales have taken a dive. We are looking to add a “Andy McCondach Seal of Approve” on everyone. As my customers always say,
“is it even a shower if Andy isn’t in it. “
If this is a link up you’re interested in, hit up my assistant and let’s make some money!
I sincerely regret not selecting this guy in our squad for the 2015 RWC. Unfortunately due to our 3 lock policy and our abundance of utility forwards we couldn’t include him in the squad. Oh well, the All Blacks loss is the Law Society RFC’s gain.
Ah that Andy McCondach. Only great things come from that guy. Never met a bloke better in the showers.
I’m not sure if any of the thousands in attendance filmed it, but in the Law Society 3’s at Marble Hill Park 2013. Andy McCondach was a young 42 year old. Finding their team down by 6 with time already up he made a break from the 1m line. Drove over expertly and forced the ball down. He had absolutely no faith in his kicker so took it upon himself to slot the conversion from in front of the sticks. It has gone down in 12th Grade London Rugby ever since and they are thinking of erecting a statue in his honour at the ground.