The talk of Rugby town last weekend was the game between Chiefs V Highlanders - which ended up with a last minute victory for the Highlanders, in the last round of the Aotearoa fixtures.
It turns out that (and probably due to Coronavirus) that the UK has been lapping up the pulsating games that the Kiwi Super Rugby teams have been putting on for the world to see - https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/300062745/super-rugby-aotearoa-hits-tv-peaks-in-key-uk-market-not-seen-for-many-years
After watching the game and talking about it in the office over the last few days, it got us wondering what are the best last minute comebacks or finishes to a game that we have seen.
We have drafted a list of our top 5 moments - this is in no particular order and it will be clearly a subjective list - but we feel we have all bases covered.
1. France v Ireland | Natwest 6 Nations 2018 - Ireland won 15-13 - In a close, hard fought encounter at the Stade De France - Johnny Sexton sinks a last minute drop goal for the last minute victory.
2. South Africa v British and Irish Lions | 1997 Series - Lions Won 18-15 - It wasn't quite a last minute drop goal to go ahead against the Springboks - but to take an unassailable 2-0 lead in the series against the World Champions at the time, in the final minutes...not a bad way to win a game.
3. Ireland v All Blacks | 2013 Test Match - All Blacks won 24-22 - In what would have been the first Irish victory over the All Blacks back in 2013 (They have since beat them in 2018) defeat was snatched from the jaws of victory when after a monumental amount of phases went by, the All Blacks stole the victory.
4. Harlequins v Stade Francais | 2008 Heineken Cup - Harlequins won 19-17 - Now into the club scene - where after what seemed an abnormal amount of phases of play with the score stacked 16-17 in favour of Stade Francais, Harlequins found the magic touch at the death!
5. Australia v England | Rugby World Cup Final 2003 - England Won 20-17 (A.E.T) - You do not get more last minute of a game, then the last minute of extra time! No last minute comeback/wins list would be complete without England's win of Australia in the Rugby World Cup final of 2003.
Have we missed any? We imagine there will be a fair few that do not agree - why not comment on the matches you think should be in a top 5.